Gladiolus 'Black Star'
A beautiful large dark flowering Gladiolus.
Flower Colour: Dark burgundy red
Flowering Time: August-September
Planting time: Spring
Soil type: Well drained
Planting depth: 10-15cm/4-6"
Sold as: Corm, large corms (12/14)
Please note: Dispatch is from the beginning of March 2019
- Plant when danger of frost has passed and the ground has warmed.
- Plant 2-3 times the depth of the bulb and 15cm/6” apart.
- In well drained moist soil, in a sunny position.
- Gladioli prefer to be in spaces where no other plants compete with them.
- Water regularly as the growth begins to appear.
- You can hill up the soil when plants are about 15cm/6” tall to help support the stems.
- Dead head as necessary, but leave foliage.
- Bulbs will winter in the ground if they are in a warm sheltered position.
- If exposed and prone to cold conditions Gladioli will benefit from lifting and storing in a frost free location.
- The smaller or mini varieties of Gladioli, such as nanus or colvillei are in general hardier than the larger variety.
- Acidanthera, contrary to general belief, is not hardy and needs lifting and storing unless your own experience has proved different.